VideoSequencer Official 0.2 Release

Better late than never I always say!  I'm going to formally make my release posts this week to inform everybody how things have been going.

I've done a major re-write to my code between the 0.1 and 0.2.

Changes in this release include:

  • Handling of videos and sources
  • Use of function prototypes
  • Use of XMLHttpRequest to get XML data about the video sources and lengths.
  • The ability to add additional sources to the sequence (needs more testing/tweaking)
In my previous release VideoSequencer required that video tags be present in the pages' html, and that the id's be passed into the constructor.  This bothered me.  So I set it up so that now a new attribute can be added to the target video element: "segment-data".  At this point in time it provides VideoSequencer with the address of an xml file describing the locations and length of the video segments.

This approach allows me to only have 2 video tags on the page for n number of videos, rather than n number of tags for n number of videos.  I now have one tag for the currently playing segment, and one for the next segment.  Once the current segment reaches the end of playback, I remove it from the DOM and display the hidden tag, which starts to play.  Then a new video tag is created, hidden, for the next source in the sequence.

After learning about the value of function prototypes, and that I might have more than one sequencer present on one page, I realized that they would be of value for me.  I can set it up so that all the Sequencers can use the methods I put on the prototype.

Here's the release source code: GitHub Repo (0.2)
Here's VideoSequencer 0.2 in action. (HTML5 capable browser required)

Here's what you can expect in 0.3:

  • Event Handling
  • A non-standard user interface
  • The ability to seek
  • Pause/Play methods (via the sequencer)